Book clubs sound a bit pretentious to me, which is perfect because there is no better word to describe my personality, right?
I have been thinking about starting a book club for a while, and I am finally taking the plunge. I really like reading books, but it’s such an individual pastime. I’ve been trying to sort out a way to get more ladies in my life (I’m like an adolescent boy in that way) and I think a book club is just the ticket. THE GOLDEN TICKET.
Now I know what you are thinking, what makes you so qualified to host a book club? Well, as a matter of fact, I read Oprah’s online guide to such endeavors and I do believe I meet the criteria:
- Ability to provide a location
- Ability to make a list of books
- Ability to serve refreshments
- Ability to read and discuss books
Now that you see how qualified I am, I imagine you cannot wait to join. Perhaps you are reading this thinking, maybe I wouldn’t know anyone, or maybe it’s just for her close friends. You would be wrong to make such assumptions. This group is open to any lady acquaintance of mine (I’ll say around my age +/- 6 years).
Criteria for being involved:
- Ability to read a book per month (or the ability to pretend)
- Interest in hanging out with ladies once a month
- Desire to discuss topics with others
- Ability to be in a room with people who have different world views or belief systems
- Ability to share, listen, and be respectful
If you are interested in learning more, send me your email address and I will pass along more specifics (including the types of books that interest me).